Job title: Accounting Clerk
Reports to: Finance and Accounting Manager
Date: September 8, 2021
Pivotal supports young people in and from foster care to realize their educational and career goals and ensure their equitable access to opportunity. We envision a community in which every young person gets the education, career, and life they want for themselves. In support of this vision and mission, Pivotal provides highly individualized academic and career-oriented services to current and former foster youth at the secondary and post-secondary levels. Pivotal also works with community stakeholders to effect systemic change in the opportunities offered to youth from the foster care system.
Pivotal is a dynamic, fast growing organization that challenges staff to reflect and grow to remain ever more responsive to our youth, providing the highest quality services. Our approach is data-driven and evidence-based.
At Pivotal, we acknowledge and celebrate the power in diversity. Our collaborative culture promotes innovation and benefits our team, the youth we serve, and our community as a whole. Pivotal is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
The Accounting Clerk is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day finance and accounting functions of the organization.
Working in close collaboration with the Finance and Accounting Manager, the Accounting Clerk will perform a variety of accounting activities, including payroll, accounts receivable and payable, and miscellaneous projects within the operations department.
The Accounting Clerk reports to the Finance and Accounting Manager. This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in San Jose.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Collect all timecards, ensure accuracy and supervisor approval, and prepare bi-weekly payroll for review
- Once reviewed, process bi-weekly payroll for all staff, including youth employed through
Pivotal’s internship program
- Book payroll entry in QuickBooks, ensuring payroll allocations are accurate across programs
- Assist with the hiring of Pivotal youth for summer internships
- Complete monthly workers compensation reporting for both the staff and internship policies
- Act as the main contact for the annual workers compensation audits
- Complete requests from Employment Development Department regarding leaves and unemployment requests
- Prepare and make weekly bank deposits; ensure that all revenue is correctly coded including any restricted donations
- Assist with the reconciliation of fundraising revenue with the Development department on a monthly basis including review of coding and restrictions
- Perform billing for organization’s fee-for-service contracts, relying on program managers to provide detail of services rendered
- Prepare bi-weekly billing for Pivotal summer internships
- Review accounts receivable on a regular basis and manage timely collection of all amounts due
- Assist with input of expenses into QuickBooks, ensuring accurate coding and appropriate management approval
- Prepare weekly check run ensuring timely payment of all payables. Obtain Finance and Accounting Manager approval prior to printing checks
- Set up and maintain vendor profiles in QuickBooks, including collection of W9 documentation and updating of addresses
- Manage Accounts Payable electronic inbox and, whenever possible, sign up for paperless billing
- Monitor the Concur platform for expense and credit card reports ensuring coding accuracy, receipts, and appropriate approvals
- Assist Finance and Accounting manager with month end close procedures including journal entries, account reconciliations, and preparation of department reports
- Participate in the annual financial audit by assisting with document collection and preparing schedules as needed
- Assist with the annual tax return preparation including document collection and preparing schedules as needed
- Assist Finance and Accounting Manager and CFOO with other projects/deliverables as needed including data requests, and budget and forecast preparation
- Identify opportunities to streamline and automate current processes to help the organization scale more efficiently
- Assist the Learning & Evaluation and Scholarship departments with data entry required to
effectively manage and track the organization’s programs on an as needed basis
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Pivotal values a combination of education, experience, and training that demonstrates the ability to be a great fit for Pivotal and this role. We encourage applicants to apply even if they may not meet all the listed qualifications.
- BA/BS degree in Business and/or Accounting or equivalent work experience
- Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and meet all required deadlines
- Skill in written and verbal communication
- Ability to communicate with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training, and experience
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Microsoft Office Suite, and other business software as needed for the requirements of the position
- Non profit or small organization accounting experience
- Experience with payroll through the ADP platform
Compensation and benefits
This position is a full time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $55K to $60K determined by experience and qualifications. Benefits include the following:
- Full medical, dental, and vision insurance paid for by the organization
- Employee life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance paid for by the organization
- 401K plan with annual employee contribution match by the organization
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) paid for by the organization
- Flexible work schedule
- 15 days per annum paid time off; increases over time with tenure
- 12 paid holidays
- Located in the middle of downtown San Jose within walking distance to many restaurants and coffee houses
- Close to VTA Light Rail (closest stop ½ block away)
- Paid parking in nearby covered lot
- Free on-site gym, games room, and indoor bike storage in the building
This position will spend time sitting and using office equipment and computers. The successful candidate will be required to have a full background check.
All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of political affiliation, race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or other non-merit factors. If you need any assistance or accommodation in the application process, feel free to reach out to us at (408) 484- 6200.